Careers at HWC
Seasonal Wildlife Animal Care Assistant (Kapa‘au Facility)
Part-time or full-time depending on applicant’s availability, Hourly
The Hawai’i Wildlife Center is looking for 1-3 Wildlife Animal Care Assistants to assist in the care of native Hawaiian birds during the Wedge-tailed Shearwater Fallout Season. The Animal Care Assistant assists the Wildlife Rehabilitator (WR) and Director of Wildlife Rehabilitation and Veterinary Medicine (DWRVM) in animal handling and restraint, care, rehabilitation, cleaning and disinfecting. The Assistant takes direction from the WR and the DWRVM and all animal care tasks need to be approved by the WR or DWRVM.
The Assistant helps to ensure that the Hawaiʻi Wildlife Center’s high standards for animal welfare are met through appropriate wildlife care practices, husbandry, and daily hospital maintenance tasks. The Assistant is a part time position, working 1-4 days per week for 8 hours daily. The position is seasonal, it starts immediately and runs through December 31st 2023. Depending on caseload there is the possibility of temporary extension into January 2024.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Understand and comply with the Hawai‘i Wildlife Center’s policies, code of ethics, philosophies, and protocols
- Assist the WR in performing intake exams and assessments
- Safely catch and restraint animals
- Perform basic evaluation of animal status (bright and alert, quiet, illness recognition)
- Communicate regularly with the WR about patient status and any changes no matter how insignificant
- Update medical records per the direction of WR (eg. weights, lab results)
- Consult and update the treatment, medications and task boards as duties and treatments are performed
- Assist with routine diagnostics (PCV/TP, fecals)
- Assist with procedures such as bandaging and splinting
- Maintain a clean and tidy exam room and sanitize surfaces and clean and disinfect instruments, gavage tubes and syringes
- Properly spray off linens and do laundry
- Correctly identify avian species, learn natural history and developmental stages, diet and housing for appropriate care
- Clean and prep transport kennels for use and for interisland transport
- Prepare foods per the direction of the WR following proper hygienic techniques
- Clean and disinfect food dishes following proper techniques and hygiene
- Feed birds per the direction of WR
- Maintain a clean, safe, and sanitary environment in all wildlife areas through routine daily cleaning and disinfection of cages, enclosures, and rooms
- Sweeping and mopping of the hospital
- Maintain mealworm/bug colonies and any other live animals (rats, mice, birds, etc.) that may be used for live feeding.
- Perform upkeep and improvements to aviaries and pools, including cleaning substrate, building perches, and providing enrichment
- Assist in releases and rescues
- Other duties as required or assigned
- Must have animal care experience
- Must be 18-years of age or older
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Willing to undergo drug testing, background check and driver history check
- Prior wildlife rehabilitation internship experience is preferred but not required
- Ability to maintain accurate and complete medical records and database entry
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally with coworkers, interns, volunteers, and the public
- Knowledge of island ecosystems and Hawaiian culture preferred
- Comfortable using hand and power tools
- Must have a positive “Can do” attitude, be able to handle stressful situations calmly, demonstrate professionalism, exhibit a strong work ethic and be able to handle physically rigorous work as well as tedious routine work.
- Ability to take direction and carry out assignments in a timely manner
- Must have initiative and motivation to identify projects, take charge of daily tasks
- Willing to make a commitment to the organization’s mission, vision and values as well as to the native wildlife of Hawaii
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 pounds
- Legally entitled to work in the United States
- Have a valid drivers license with no record of major or repeated minor traffic offenses.
HOURLY PAY: $17/hr. Full-time positions qualify for benefits. The position is seasonal, it starts immediately and runs through December 31st 2023. Depending on caseload there is the possibility of extension into January 2024.
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, and prescription start after 1-month of employment; and 10-vacation days annually after passing 6-months probationary period; 401k retirement plan.
Application Process: PLEASE FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS PRECISELY. email cover letter, resume, and three references in one document and titled with your last name to email@example.com. Please put ‘Seasonal Wildlife Animal Care Assistant’ in the subject line.
Date Posted: November 7, 2023
Date Needed: ASAP
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls please.