Careers at HWC
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Kapa‘au Facility)
The Facility Maintenance Technician (FMT) reports to the Administrative Manager and carries out duties necessary for the care and maintenance of the two-acre facilities and protection of our wildlife patients. This position will also work with input from the Director of Rehabilitation and Veterinary Medicine on any tasks involving the wildlife facilities. The FMT responsible for basic care, maintenance and repair of the facility, including interior, exterior structures. Individuals should prepare to work collaboratively with the HWC team and respond to the general everyday needs of facilities upkeep, maintenance and efficiency. This position is to be scheduled for twice weekly (approximately 5-16 hours/week) for general maintenance and can have additional hours as needed for projects up to 19 hours/week.
- Capable of doing handyman jobs, light duty carpentry, and background knowledge or capability doing plumbing, electrical
- Must have own tools (there is a limited selection of tools on-site and FMT is also welcome to use what is available)
- Must have reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license with automobile insurance and safety check up to date
- Must be able to lift 80 pounds
- Must have respect, appreciation for native wildlife especially birds and be comfortable working near them
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- General interior and exterior building and wildlife structures maintenance
- Possible landscaping maintenance
- Picking up of project, repair supplies. Supplies will be purchased by HWC.
- Removal and disposal of waste from projects
- Changing lights and/or fixtures
- Adjusting, fixing of multiple doors hardware
- Plumbing repairs, replacements, installation
- Carpentry repairs and installations (doors, shelves, countertops, aviaries, caging)
- Minor repair of electrical devices
- Minor repair of discovery center displays
- Facilities safety inspections
- Concrete and asphalt paving inspections and repairs
- Grounds and security maintenance (fencing, gate arms and gates)
- Janitorial as needed
Hourly rate: $25 per hour. This is a part-time position. Work hours will be under 20 hours per week, days of work and hours may vary. This position does not qualify for benefits.
Application Process: PLEASE FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS PRECISELY. email cover letter, resume, and three references in one document and titled with your last name to email@example.com. Please put ‘Facility Maintenance position’ in the subject line.
Date Posted: March 28, 2023
Date Needed: ASAP
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls please.