Wildlife-Friendly Business Kaua‘i – Renewal Only
Mahalo for your interest in renewing your WFB status! The Wildlife-Friendly Business (WFB) Kaua‘i Program aims to support and amplify conservation-minded businesses. All business applicants are reviewed by the Kaua‘i Wildlife Coalition. KWC reserves the right to decline any applicant, including renewals. Declined applicants will be refunded.
What did your WFB Contribution Support?
The Hawai‘i Wildlife Center (HWC) accepts enrollment contributions by request of the Kaua‘i Wildlife Coalition to support wildlife rescue and hospital operations. What did your WFB contribution support this past year? See some highlights below!
790 patients were provided medical and rehabilitative care.
2021 was a busy year! 788 native birds and two native bats were treated by our wildlife team. The most common patient species in 2021 was the ‘Ua‘u kani (Wedge-tailed Shearwater). The most unusual patient species in 2021 was a Cassin’s Auklet! Release rate for 2021 was 88%.
Built up wildlife hospital resources and partnerships
We have continued to develop our wildlife hospital, including building up our inventory of medications and supplies. Our Hospital Director (and staff veterinarian) also made trips to Kaua‘i to ensure our partners at Save our Shearwaters had the medications they needed for the patients in their care.
Supported the next generation of wildlife professionals
One additional benefit of a busy wildlife hospital is an abundance of teaching opportunities. We were able to welcome five student interns and four veterinary student externs at our facility. Interns and externs were provided hands-on experience in wildlife medical care, rehabilitation, and conservation.
A Reminder of Your WFB Benefits
Businesses enrolled in the WFB Program:
- Will be listed and mapped on the KauaiWildlife.org Wildlife-Friendly Business page. This is to help direct customers to Wildlife-Friendly Businesses!
- Will be promoted on the Kaua‘i Wildlife Coalition Facebook page.
- Will have the support of the Kaua‘i Wildlife Coalition, who will be available to you as a resource, and who may make periodic site visits.
- Receive an official Wildlife-Friendly Business window cling to display proudly.
- Will be provided with a link to download the WFB logo for your marketing materials, website, and more.
- Are able to share with customers and supporters that YOUR business is supporting the protection of native wildlife!